To help start the conversation and keep the focus of this discussion thread, please consider the following questions:
- When should a human rights impact assessment be done? For what sort of business project or operation? By whom?
- Which of the existing tools for assessing human rights impact are effective?
- What are examples of gaps in past human rights impact assessments identified by NGOs and local communities? Have impact assessments been carried out that failed to identify potential human rights abuses that later materialized?
- What are examples of effective impact assessments, and why did they work?
- What do these examples show about how better to do impact assessments (or implement what they show)? Do they tell us anything about the limits of human rights impact assessments generally?
- What should the role of NGOs/civil society be? Should they always be involved in company-led impact assessments? Do we need more tools to enable them to carry out human rights impact assessments independently?
Share your experiences, thoughts, ideas and questions by adding a comment below or replying to existing comments!