You can use these questions to help kick off this discussion thread:
- How can we ensure that this effort will carry on?
- What is the background and context in which you work? What are your challenges in reaching the next generation of language-speakers?
- What do children and teenagers really like to do online?
- How can we develop games that engage young people and either teach them their heritage language or encourage its use (multi-player games, Second Life, etc.)?
- It’s easier to translate a game from English into indigenous languages than it is to develop a game from scratch in the language, one which respects the traditional culture. What are the tradeoffs? Which is preferable? The same goes for other language learning materials for children (e.g. recent dubbing of Berenstain Bears into Lakota).
Share your experiences, thoughts, ideas and questions by adding a comment below or replying to an existing comment!