We host monthly online Conversations on different ways to advance human rights. These week-long events give human rights defenders the opportunity to learn from and interact with each other. Read more about these Conversations.
Our Conversation Leaders and Facilitators are the driving force behind the success of our online conversations.
Leading a New Tactics conversation is a great opportunity for you to reflect on your own work, share your experiences with others, learn from others and meet new colleagues.
What is a Conversation Leader?
A New Tactics Conversation Leader is someone who has committed to participate regularly in a New Tactics conversation. This is someone who has experience or expertise on the conversation topic.
We work with 10-20 Conversation Leaders for each conversation. Sometimes we work with fewer, and sometimes more - but we find that this range is the best because it allows for a diverse exchange of ideas, questions, experiences, and also allows New Tactics to provide individual support for these participants.
We try to find a diverse group of Conversation Leaders that represent different perspectives, human rights issues, and geographic regions.
Why does New Tactics work with Conversation Leaders?
Working with Conversation Leaders ensures that more content will be adding to the Conversation each day, which will therefore create more opportunity for exchange, helping us to meet the goals of each Conversation.
What are the expectations?
The expectations for Conversation Facilitator include:
- Participate in a one-hour preparatory conference call hosted by New Tactics and share feedback on drafted discussion threads (1 hour)
- Promote the conversation with their networks (1 hour)
- Add several comments to the conversation for each day it is live (2 hours x 5 days = 10 hours)
New Tactics is responsible for:
- Coordinating the conversation by creating the space on our website and inviting Conversation Leaders and other participants
- Engaging the New Tactics network by promoting the conversation on website, in newsletter, on Twitter and Facebook
- Training Conversation Facilitators and Leaders on how to participate in the conversation (via a preparatory conference call hosted by New Tactics)
- Provide support and guidance for the Conversation Facilitator and Conversation Leaders throughout the week
- Collecting feedback on the conversation process and outcomes
- Writing a summary of the conversation, posting on conversation page and alerting Conversation Facilitators and Leaders
If you are interested in participating in this community as a Conversation Leader, contact us.
New Tactics Conversation Facilitators facilitate a New Tactics conversation by:
- Collaborating with New Tactics to determine conversation topic and description
- Collaborating with New Tactics to identify Conversation Leaders and other participants
- Promoting the conversation with their networks
- Posting comments each day while the conversation is active to help facilitate the discussion.
New Tactics staff work closely with the Conversation Facilitators by:
- Coordinating the conversation by creating the space on our website and also inviting Conversation Leaders and other participants
- Promoting the conversation on the website, in newsletter, on Twitter and Facebook
- Training Conversation Facilitators, Conversation Leaders and other participants on how to participate in the conversation
- Providing support and guidance for the Conversation Facilitator.
More information about the role and expectations for Conversation Facilitators. If you are interested in participating in this community as a Conversation Facilitator, contact us.