New Tactics has created this privacy notice to demonstrate our firm commitment to transparency and internet privacy. The following discloses our policies concerning the gathering, sharing of information and usage of this Web site. In brief, our policies are:
- We use Google Analytics to monitor general trends in the use of our Web site to improve the usefulness of the site to our visitors;
- We do not collect information concerning individual visitors unless that information is voluntarily disclosed, for example by sharing name, country, organization on the New Tactics account profile;
- At any time, users who have signed up for a specific service can have their names removed from membership and the relevant mailing list (see our FAQ on how to do this).
- For further information about Web site usage, and other relevant information, please see below.
In order to become of a member of the New Tactics online community, you must read and accept the Member Agreement. The ability of the site to provide a safe, secure and respectful space for sharing and networking rests upon each user to respect and protect the privacy of all members. [See Member Agreement]
General Website Usage
You can visit all resource material portions of the New Tactics Web site without becoming a member or telling us who you are and without revealing any personal information. The only information we collect from a normal Website visit is the IP address, the name of your Internet service provider, the browser and type of machine you are using, the Web site that referred you to us, the pages you request, keyword search terms, and the date and time of those requests. This information is collected on an aggregate basis only. For example, New Tactics tracks which pages are most popular among visitors as a whole, but we do not track information on which pages an individual visitor might look at during a visit to our site. We use this information to generate statistics and measure site activity to improve the usefulness of the site to our visitors. We do not collect any other information -- such as the name, mailing address, e-mail address, or phone number of the visitor -- without the visitor's knowledge and permission. Any personally identifiable information that we collect is used for internal review only and not shared with third parties.
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
There are instances where New Tactics requests personally identifiable information, such as name, mailing address, e-mail address, and possibly additional information, to provide you with specific services or correspondence. New Tactics does not sell, rent or exchange e-mail addresses. The New Tactics Web site will not intentionally post personal contact information for users or volunteers, including their e-mail address, street address and phone numbers, without that individual's consent.
The Center for Victims of Torture’s (CVT) third-party online donation service, Convio, has stringent security measures in place, including encryption and policies governing employee access to personal information. For those who have donated to CVT, we occasionally do make our mailing list available to other organizations with related causes. CVT supporters can request their name, address and other identifiable information not be shared, contact CVT via e-mail at email@example.com, phone at 1-877-265-8775 or checking the appropriate box on a return mailing device.
We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13.
New Tactics Community Member Web site Usage
In order to join the New Tactics online community, we will collect some personal information such as name, e-mail address, consent to use agreement form, etc. Information collected for membership is used for internal review only and not shared with third parties. Members of the New Tactics online community may voluntarily share information that will then be seen by other community members. For example, user biographies may contain personal information, photos, documents, as well as organizational information and connections for networking purposes. This information is voluntarily disclosed by the member and available for other members to see.
Persons who join the New Tactics community or donate via the Web site and provide an e-mail address will receive New Tactics Newsletter, an electronic newsletter and any other information they have signed up to receive. We use MailChimp to manage our email Newsletters. Each New Tactics Newsletter includes an option to remove yourself from the mailing list. You may also opt out at any time from any of the benefits by sending a request via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us at 1-612-436-4884.
This site contains hypertext links to other sites. New Tactics is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites. New Tactics makes no representations whatsoever about any other web site that you may access through the Web site. When you access a non-New Tactics web site, please understand that it is independent from new Tactics, and that New Tactics has not control over the content of that web site. In addition, a link to a non-New Tactics web site does not mean that new Tactics endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content, or the use, of such web site. It is up to you to take precautions to ensure that whatever you select for your use is free of such items as viruses, worms, Trojan horses and other items of a destructive nature.
Limitation of Liability IN NO EVENT WILL NEW TACTICS BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR ANY USE OF THIS WEB SITE, OR ON ANY OTHER HYPERLINKED WEB SITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF PROGRAMS OR OTHER DATA ON YOUR INFORMATION HANDLING SYSTEM OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF WE ARE EXPRESSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. New Tactics makes every effort to ensure the secure collection and transmission of sensitive user information using industry accepted data collection and encryption methodologies. However, your confidential use of this site cannot be guaranteed by New Tactics. New Tactics shall not be responsible for any harm that you or any person may suffer as a result of a breach of confidentiality in respect to your use of this site or any information you transmitted or posted to this site.
New Tactics in Human Rights not advocate specific tactics or policies. The opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed on this site do not necessarily reflect those of the Center for Victims of Torture or New Tactics in Human Rights. Neither the Center for Victims of Torture nor New Tactics in Human Rights is responsible for actions taken by members of the site or liable for any personal posts, documents and files transmitted or stored by members on the site.
New Tactics is not responsible for any breach of confidentiality regarding personal information, posts, documents, etc. that other community members voluntarily share with contacts and networks outside the New Tactics member community. Members should therefore be mindful of what they choose to share, store and make public on this site.
INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Information on this Web site may contain technical inaccuracies, out of date information or typographical errors. Information may be changed or updated without notice.
We reserve the right to remove comments or materials posted that are offensive or inflammatory.
The membership area of the site will be monitored for inappropriate usage of the site. Members are responsible for following the Member Agreement and are highly encouraged to voice any concerns as well as provide constructive and respectful feedback on all Web site content to the Web site administrators.
Copyrights and References
The New Tactics Web site operates from a Creative Commons perspective, using the “Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported” definition found at: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ [See details below]
The New Tactics online community offers space for members to dialogue, share experiences, develop strategies and tactics, work collectively in groups, and store personal as well as group interactions, related documents and materials.
New Tactics in Human Rights, a program of the Center for Victims of Torture based in the United States of America reserves the right to refuse access to its website.
By joining the online member community of New Tactics, you are agreeing to the following:
- Diversity: Diversity of opinion, language, culture, nationality, lifestyle and human rights issue areas are welcome and exchange is not only highly encouraged but the desired goal of the online community. As such, respectful interaction among members is essential. Treat other members with the same respect that you wish to be treated. Inflammatory exchanges, personal attacks or other disrespectful behavior will not be allowed.
- Security: We take steps to safeguard security for the website's users, but your confidential use of this site cannot be guaranteed. Please take care with what you post, share and store on the website. The program shall not be held responsible for any harm that you or any person may suffer as a result of a breach of confidentiality in respect to your use of this site or any information you transmitted or posted to this site.
- Personal Files and the Storage of Materials: Please note that any materials that exploit, disparage, defame or provoke violence toward any person or group are not allowed on the site. Your confidential use of this site for storage of personal files and other materials cannot be guaranteed by New Tactics. The program shall not be held responsible for any harm that you or any person may suffer as a result of a breach of confidentiality in respect to the personal files and materials you stored, transmitted or posted to this site.
- Website Behavior Guidelines
- Opinions: Never assume that a member is speaking on behalf of their organization unless this is clearly stated by the member as an organizational position. Remember to share opinions with respect and sensitivity. Treat other members with the same respect with which you wish to be treated. Opinions, or website behavior, that purposefully disparages, defames or provokes others on the site are not allowed.
- Humor/Sarcasm: Please be very aware that humor and sarcasm can be easily misinterpreted, especially given cross-cultural and cross-language communication. Please keep this to a minimum or let people know when you intend a comment to be funny or sarcastic.
- Copyrights and References: If you are using facts to support a position, state where they came from. The New Tactics website is all about sharing and adapting tactical ideas to move human rights issues forward. It is also important to give credit where credit is due. If you know where the fact, idea, resource or practice originated, please let the membership know. The New Tactics website operates from a Creative Commons perspective, using the “Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported” definition found at: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
- Attribution. You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work — and derivative works based upon it — but only if they give credit the way you request.
- Noncommercial. You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work — and derivative works based upon it — but for noncommercial purposes only.
- Share Alike. You allow others to distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs your work.