Defending and promoting rights is challenging. If we’re clear about where we are starting from, where we want to get to, and the path from one to the other, we’re more likely to get there. New Tactics in Human Rights has developed a process to help activists become more focused, more creative, and ultimately more likely to succeed in their advocacy efforts. It is called the Strategic Effectiveness Method.
The New Tactics in Human Rights program is pleased to invite applications for our newly-launched online course. The course will provide you with a foundation for conducting human rights-based advocacy using the Strategic Effectiveness Method, and prepare you to integrate technology into your advocacy work using our innovative online Tactical Mapping Tool (TMT). The course is being offered free of charge and 40 applicants will be selected to take the course.
Apply Online: https://forms.gle/dPa4wYwMFenCRopTA
Application Deadline: December 20, 2019
New Tactics will review applications submitted via the online application form and contact only shortlisted candidates. Priority will be given to applicants who are currently working for organizations that promote human rights or who are part of human rights advocacy campaigns or initiatives. Those candidates who are selected will be notified no later than Tuesday, January 7, 2020.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
Course Details and Features
- Timing: The course will begin on Monday, February 17, 2020 and contains five (5) modules. You can proceed through the five modules of the online course at your own pace. However, you will need to complete the course by the closure date of Sunday, April 12, 2020 (8 weeks from course starting date) in order to receive your certificate of completion. You will choose how much time and effort you put into the course.
- TMT Use: This course provides you with an exciting opportunity to learn and use the TMT to conduct human-rights based advocacy. The TMT makes it possible to collectively develop and monitor community actions to address your identified community problem of concern. New Tactics trainers will engage with you by using communication features within the TMT. This will provide you with skills and practice in using these features when implementing your own advocacy campaigns to address your identified problem.
- Case Study: The course uses a case study example to demonstrate and build your skills in using the Strategic Effectiveness Method and the corresponding features in the TMT. You will use the TMT to develop a tactical map of the case study example. This will enhance your ability to share ideas and experiences with others in the course for your learning and skill development.
- Skills Application: Following the case study video demonstrations, you will apply your understanding and skills in using both the Strategic Effectiveness Method and the online TMT to your own identified problem. By the end of the course, you will use the Method and the TMT to create a second tactical map on your own identified community problem of concern. The TMT will help you and your community group to collectively gather the information you need to develop and track your own advocacy campaigns.
- Community Group Engagement: To gain the most benefit from this course, we highly recommend that you engage others from your organization, community, or group to work with you while developing your own advocacy campaign. While you can individually complete the course assignments, the added benefit of gathering a community group is the opportunity to immediately apply the Strategic Effectiveness Method, online Tactical Mapping Tool (TMT) and other resources of the course directly to a community problem of concern.
- Peer Interaction: Throughout the course, you will participate in an exchange “Forum.” Based on the case study used in the course, you will share what you are learning and gain from the ideas and experiences of other course participants as well.
- Language and Accessibility. This course will be conducted in English. If you are interested in taking the course in Arabic, please email Ayman Malhis at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Arabic application link. We chose CANVAS Studio as the learning management system (LMS) for this course due in part to the internal supports offered by the platform. These supports help to maximize accessibility for participants with a range of disabilities.
More About Us
The course was developed as part of the Technological Bridges for Citizen Engagement Project [Arabic: Rawabet Initiative]. This project is led by Equitas - International Centre for Human Rights Education, Canada, and funded by Global Affairs Canada. This online course is being conducted by the New Tactics in Human Rights program of the Center for Victims of Torture.
New Tactics in Human Rights was established in 1999 by Center for Victims of Torture to help human rights activists to work more effectively in order to achieve their objectives and to better address human rights violations globally.
For more information about New Tactics:
Web Page: https://www.newtactics.org/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NewTactics